While the majority of people do the right thing, Fisheries Queensland have recently come across a few who were confused about the Stock Impoundment Permit process (SIPS).
- There are 63 dams and weirs in Queensland that require a SIP to fish with a line
- The impoundments are stocked with native fish specifically for recreational fishing
- The fees go towards maintaining and enhancing recreational fishing in stocked impoundments
- All persons over the age of 18 must hold a permit when line fishing in SIPS impoundments
- You’re entitled to a discount if you have a Queensland Government Seniors Card, Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card
- You must carry your permit – digital or paper version – with you when fishing in a stocked impoundment and produce it on request by fisheries officers
- Check out our interactive search tool for impoundments that require a permit – brnw.ch/21wF81C
For more information and to acquire a permit, download the free Qld Fishing 2.0 app or visit the Fisheries Queensland website
On 1 July 2023 most of our fees and charges increased by 3.4% in line with the government’s indexation policy.
A Stocked Impoundment Permit covers access to all Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS) impoundments and allows you to fish with recreational fishing lines only. Permits cost:
- $12.72 per week
- $60.42 per year
- $43.46 per year if you are entitled to a discount*
* You are entitled to a discount if you have a Queensland Government Seniors Card, Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or a Repatriation Health Care Card (Gold Card).
All persons over the age of 18 years must hold a permit when line fishing in SIPS impoundments (children and teenagers under 18 years do not require a permit).
You must carry your permit (digital email, digital sms, paper receipt) with you when fishing in a stocked impoundment and produce it on request by QBFP.
Enjoy your fishing!