A delicious alternative to your ordinary chicken skewers. This recipe adds a beautiful smoked flavour, making the dish something truly special to be enjoyed on any occasion.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 10 sage leaves
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of one lime
- 70ml oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 bunch chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
- Skewer sticks
- 200g Muurikka wood chips
Smoked peanut sauce:
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 diced small onion
- Half a red chilli, seeds removed
- Juice of one lemon
- 100ml coconut milk
- 250g peanut butter
- 250ml water
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Cut chicken breasts lengthwise into three sections.
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Attach the chicken sections to the skewer sticks and marinade for at least 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper and smoke skewers for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked.
- Add the sage leaves to the smoking tray with the wood chips before the smoking is complete.
- Sauté garlic, onion and chilli in oil in a pan and then arrange on the bottom of a metal pan or sheet of foil.
- Smoke for 10 minutes and cool.
- Blend the cumin and smoked onion mixture with the coconut milk.
- Add lemon juice and peanut butter. Mix until well blended and pour into a saucepan.
- Add water and simmer for five minutes until the sauce is the right consistency.
- Serve the skewers and sauce with a green salad.
NOTE: You can grill skewers after smoking to add colour.