Summer is a great time of year for good ol’ Aussie bush tucker. Especially bunya nuts from bunya pine trees. If you haven’t been bunya nutting or even tried eating these nuts, you are missing out on delightful bush tucker.
- Bunya nuts
- 1/4 cup salt per litre of water
- Add nuts to a large empty pot.
- Cover nuts with water and add salt.
- Bring nuts to the boil and simmer for three hours, keeping the nuts covered with water.
- Cook until nuts are soft, then serve hot or cold.
An old favourite is to cook a piece of corned meat and then flavour the bunya nuts by cooking them in the corned meat water.
Prep time: 30 min | Cook time: 3 hrs | Serves 6-8
To learn more about these delicious and versatile nuts, click here.