Ingredients Prawns with Tamarind Sauce
- 12 large green prawns
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red chilli, sliced diagonally, fine
- 1 pair kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp crispy fried shallots
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 shallot onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 35g of wet tamarind block
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 8 tbsp palm sugar
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. Tip into a strainer to extract tamarind water, push the pulp through the strainer using the back of a spoon to remove the paste, scrape the paste from the underneath side of the strainer, stir to combine to make tamarind water.
- Heat sesame oil in the wok over a low heat, add shallots and garlic, simmer until onion is opaque.
- Add tamarind paste, palm sugar, chilli, fish sauce, salt and stir until sauce reduces and slightly thickens.
- Remove heads from prawns, peel leaving tail intact and de-vein. Dust prawns in rice flour.
- Heat sesame oil in pan over medium heat. Cook on one side until crispy and turn prawns to cook the other side.
- Spoon sauce on serving plate, top with prawns, sprinkle with crispy fried shallots, chilli and kaffir lime and drizzle with tamarind sauce to serve.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min