A terrific recipe for cooking tender smoked tailor. Simply the best way to cook tailor, whether caught fresh or from the freezer.
- 4 tailor fillets
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (enough to lightly coat fish on flesh side)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- Smoking materials
- Methylated spirits
- 1 cup of manuka or port flavoured hardwood sawdust
- Aluminium foil
- Place the four fillets skin side down on the Nipper Kipper rack, covering the fish with brown sugar.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of ground coriander over the fillets, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the other rack of fish the same way.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes until sugar starts to crystallise.
- Place a layer of alu-minium foil on the bot-tom of the smoker floor and spread the sawdust across it evenly.
- The foil makes clean up easy and prevents your Kipper floor from rusting.
- Fill your canister pro-vided with methylated spirits.
- Place racks in Kipper and slide lid closed.
- Place canister on non-flammable surface (for example, sand) and ig-nite burner using an ex-tra long red head match.
- Place the Kipper box cen-tralised over the flame.
- When the alcohol stops burning after about 15-20 minutes your smoked fish will be ready to serve.