Turkey is often high on the menu for Christmas roast but this delectable glazed duck alternative is sure to tempt you to break tradition this year.
- 1 large duck
- 1 cup rosella jam
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey caramelised
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Mango stuffing
- 1 1/2 cups mango chutney
- 12 slices white bread
- 1 medium onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- To make stuffing, finely chop onion and combine mango chutney, onion and egg in a large bowl. Pull apart each slice of bread into small portions and add to mixture. Add water and combine using your fingertips. This will form a soft but not soggy stuffing.
- Remove excess fat from around the duck’s rear cavity. Fill the duck with stuffing.
- Place duck in a large oven bag, and then sit it on a rack in a baking tray and put in oven. Cook for two hours.
- Combine all the rosella glaze ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Heat the mixture until it becomes bubbly and thick.
- Remove duck from oven and do away with the oven bag.
- Put duck back on oven tray and baste generously with rosella glaze every 10 minutes for the next half hour.
- Place duck on a platter, drizzle with remaining glaze and serve immediately with roast vegetables and steamed greens.