This salmon and crab sushi cake recipe is a great entertainer for those who love sushi. Could be the next summer favourite! A seafood delight that can be prepared ahead of time and served cold, perfect for those hot Australia summer days.
Ingredients sushi cake
- 250g smoked salmon
- 250g fresh salmon, finely sliced
- 280g blue swimmer crab meat
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion, finely sliced
- 4 large avocados
- 4 cups sushi rice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 10g fried shallots
- Japanese kewpie mayonnaise
- Fresh coriander
Method sushi cake
- Cook sushi rice as per packet instructions. Lightly grease a 22cm round springform cake pan. Allow the rice to reduce to room temperature.
- Spread 1/3 of sushi rice on bottom of pan using damp fingers to press the rice into an even layer. Cut avocados in half, remove seed and slice the avocado into thin portions. Use 1/3 avocado for the for next layer. Add the smoked salmon.
- Mix soy sauce, brown sugar and chilli sauce together and drizzle half the mixture onto the avocado.
- Repeat with another layer of rice and avocado, adding the blue swimmer crab and remaining sauce.
- Repeat with another layer of rice, avocado, fresh salmon and drizzle with kewpie mayonnaise in a cross section. Torch mayo until fresh salmon changes colour and the mayo is caramelised.
- Garnish with fried shallots, diced cherry tomatoes, red onion and coriander.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
Makes 12 pieces
sushi cake sushi cake sushi cake