Try this crispy tempura prawns recipe and you’ll never go back to regular batter and it’s even better with your freshly caught prawns!
- 1kg green prawns, peeled, deveined and tails intact
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup rice flour crispy tempura
- 1 cup plain flour
- Enough cold soda for a thin batter
- Rice oil, to deep fry crispy tempura
- To make the tempura batter, combine self-raising and rice flour in a mixing bowl and whisk in enough soda water to make a thin batter. Don’t overmix the batter because this can overstretch the gluten in the flour and make the batter tough.
- Refrigerate the batter for two hours.
- Dust the prawns in plain flour.crispy tempura
- Heat the rice oil in a wok on medium/high heat. Dip prawns in batter and lower into wok. Cook in a couple of batches.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes until golden.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towel, then repeat with remaining prawns. crispy tempura
Serve with Appetite 4 The Wild chilli and mango sauce.
To cook a batch of green school prawns, use 10 litres of sea water in your crab cooking pot, a cup of salt and bring to the boil, then boil for two minutes. Add them to a slurry of icy cold sea water and add an extra cup of salt. This will set the prawns as they cool. Taste them after 15 minutes and add more salt if required. crispy tempura