- 400g Moreton Bay bugs, cooked
• 200g Hervey Bay scallops
• 3/4 cup plain flour
• 1 1/2 tbsp butter
• 1/2 cup warm water
• 3/4 tsp chicken stock powder
• 1/2 cup milk
• 150ml thickened cream
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• 1/2 cup shallots
• Salt and pepper
• 125g grated cheese
• 8 vol au vents
• 1/2 tbsp raw sugar
• Dill tops
- Cut bugs in half, keeping eight halves. Dice remaining bug meat and scallop meat.
- Melt 1/2 the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Lightly fry scallops, garlic and shallots. Remove from pan.
- Melt remaining butter on low heat and stir in flour until pasty. Remove from heat.
- Add chicken stock to warm water and stir into flour roux with a wooden spoon to remove lumps and combine.
- Return to a low heat. Add milk to mix with a whisk to remove any excess lumps and create a smooth consistency. Stir in cream and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Add bugs, shallots, garlic and chives to mornay sauce and stir consistently over low heat until mornay sauce starts to turn.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place vol au vent cases on a baking tray. Spoon seafood mix into cases. Press half a piece of bug into each casing and top with cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Garnish with dill tops.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 45 min