Quinoa and spinach are a couple of superfoods that when combined make for an irresistible and healthy cheesy tart recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 250g washed baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250g tub sour cream
- 50g prosciutto, chopped
- Fresh thyme sprigs to garnish
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Grease and line base of a 24cm round flan tray with baking paper.
- To make base, cook red quinoa according to cooking method on the packet and add a chicken stock cube to the water when boiling.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Cool. Stir in cheese and egg. Using wet fingers press firmly over base and up the side of flan tray.
- Cook in hot oven on 200C for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa starts to slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring until onion becomes transparent.
- Add spinach and nutmeg. Cook until spinach wilts. Place in a bowl. Cool. Discard any excess liquid.
- Spread spinach mixture over quinoa base and cover with prosciutto. Whisk eggs and sour cream in a jug and pour over prosciutto.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Cook in a moderate oven on 180C for about 35 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow tart to stand for 15 minutes.
Serve warm or cold and garnish with sprigs of thyme. Serves four to six.