A perfect meal for a cold night, this venison parmigiana recipe could not be tastier. Cooked in a frypan and grill or in a camp oven when regulations allow, you will have your neighbours or camping friends absolutely drooling when the delicious scents waft through the air!
- 500g venison rib fillet (eight steaks)
- Salt and pepper, freshly ground
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 200g herb and garlic breadcrumbs
- 1 cup plain flour
- 140g pizza sauce
- 140g tomato relish (Appetite 4 The Wild recipe)
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 100g mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 100g Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded
- Bunch Italian parsley, finely sliced
- Cut the venison rib fillet into 1cm-thick slices. Taking one piece at a time, lay a steak between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound it out to half the thickness. This will tenderise the meat.
- In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs. In another bowl, add the flour and in a third bowl, add the breadcrumbs.
- Season the tenderised steaks with salt and cracked pepper. Dust both sides of venison fillet in the bowl of flour, shake off any excess flour. Dip in egg wash, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Add oil to a large camp oven or pan over low heat and shallow fry. When meat starts to sizzle, you know you have the right temperature. Cook on both sides until crumbs are golden.
- Mix tomato paste and tomato relish together to make the sauce. Spread tomato sauce on top of the venison and cover with Parmigiano-Reggiano and mozzarella cheese. Add coals to lid of camp oven or put under the grill and cook until cheese is melted. Garnish with Italian parsley.
Tip: The best sauce for this parmigiana recipe is created by combining tomato paste with the author’s homemade tomato relish.
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 20 min